Sunday, June 26, 2011

Homemade Pizza Crust



This recipe is what my Mom has used for years. I have great memories of yummy homemade pizzas when I was little! I've been using the same recipe for my kids too. Sometimes Mom used whole wheat, and I like to use it too. I recently discovered a white whole wheat flour from King Arthur that makes this crust even more amazing! I ordered some white wheat berries so I can grind our own at home, than I will be trying out more of my favorite recipes using it instead of white flour. Here is the original recipe, and what I use in parenthesis.

Homemade Pizza Crust


Makes 1 thin crust the size of a cookie sheet, or 1 thicker crust in a round pizza pan



2 cups plain flour (I use white whole wheat flour)

3/4 c warm water


1 tablespoon dry yeast (or 1 single package)


1 teaspoon sugar (I use honey)


1 teaspoon salt


1 tablespoon olive oil


Dissolve yeast in warm water and add the honey. Let the mixture start bubbling (the yeast is coming to life) and then add the oil and salt and half the flour. Add the rest of the flour slowly till a soft ball is formed. You may need a little more or less flour, you want the dough to be elastic feeling, not too sticky, not too dry.


I use my Kitchenaid mixer to do the mixing, but you can do it by hand. I have to make this recipe x4 to make enough for my family, so yes it can be doubled, tripled etc. I only use 2 tablespoons of yeast for 4 crusts.


Place the dough in a warm place to rise for about an hour. I leave mine in the mixer bowl, with a little olive oil poured in the bottom to prevent it from sticking. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel to keep it from drying out.


When doubled in size, punch it down and spread it into the oiled pizza pan you are using. Divide the dough accordingly if you multiplied the recipe. Add your favorite toppings and bake at 450 degrees for around 15 minutes. Lift a corner of the dough to be sure the bottom is browned. Ovens vary so if your oven seems to cook faster check it at 10-12 minutes.



I hope you enjoy this recipe!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment really encourages me! Thank you for leaving one :)