Sunday, January 8, 2012

Whole Wheat Bread

This recipe makes 2 loaves. You can double or triple this recipe. I make 6 at a time BUT I have a mixer that is strong enough to handle that much dough. I killed my kitchenaid professional 600 model very quickly when I first started making our own bread, and I was only making 2 loaves at a time then, so be careful! (Now I have a Bosch mixer.) You can also mix this recipe by hand if you are experienced in doing that.

Photobucket


Whole Wheat Bread

Recipe adapted from Lori Viets book  No More Bricks! Successful Whole Grain Bread Made Quick & Easy

2 cups warm water
1/4 cup melted coconut or olive oil, or real butter (we like coconut best)
1/4 cup honey (you can use less if you like)
1 and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6-7 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour (we like prairie gold white wheat the best for bread)
1 and 1/2 tablespoons yeast (SAF brand is the best)

2 teaspoons lemon juice (this makes the bread softer)
Pinch of ginger (doesn't affect taste, but it helps the yeast to rise)
2 tablespoons plain yogurt (this helps with softness too, I use it when I have it on hand)

Place all liquid ingredients in the mixer bowl, along with half the flour. Mix for a few seconds then add in the yeast. Let this mix a few more seconds then add the rest of the flour slowly, you may not need to use all of it. You may need a little more flour, each batch is different. When the ball of dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl stop adding flour. Let it knead for 5-10 minutes. Divide the dough into loaves, or rolls if you want to. Place in a greased pan to rise for about an hour. If your kitchen is warm it may rise faster, my kitchen is cold except in summer so sometimes it takes longer for mine to rise. The dough should be doubled in size. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer you can check to see if it is done by poking the loaf in the center, if it reads 190 degrees inside it is done.

We like to roll out a couple of loaves before they rise and press raisins into the dough, then sprinkle on cinnamon and sucanat (a natural sugar) then roll it up jelly roll style. It makes a wonderful cinnamon raisin loaf with a pretty swirl in the middle. We gave these away at Christmas and it made a great homemade gift!

Photobucket

If you are new to breadmaking I HIGHLY recommend the book No More Bricks! Successful Whole Grain Bread Made Quick & Easy by Lori Viets. I tried for years a long time to make good soft whole wheat bread, and after reading this book and using her methods I have been making all of our family's bread ever since. She covers everything, it is very thorough and well worth the cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment really encourages me! Thank you for leaving one :)