Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Make your own Greek yogurt at home!

Do you love Greek yogurt but the price keeps you from buying it? You can make it at home for much less! It is easy too, and if you also make your own yogurt at home its even cheaper!

Greek yogurt is simply regular yogurt that has been strained to remove the extra liquid whey. You can use any plain yogurt, any fat content to make it.

First place a colander over a bowl. Line it with something to put the yogurt in. I use a coffee filter inside my colander but you can use cheese cloth or a strong paper towel as well. Pour in your yogurt, but not too much that if overflows the filter.


 photo June4th010_zps6d14d2aa.jpg

Now just put it in your fridge for a few hours. The longer it strains the thicker it will be. I usually do this before I go to bed at night, and in the morning its ready to eat!

 photo June4th007_zps08ce8915.jpg

Look how much whey came out, amazing!

 photo June4th008_zpsd8264a6f.jpg

Now that's thick and creamy goodness right there...mmmm!

 photo June4th009_zpsa8cf3503.jpg


It costs me about $3.00 to make a gallon of yogurt in my crock pot. I would estimate you get about 1/2 gallon of Greek yogurt from that gallon of yogurt. Compare that to the price of Greek yogurt in a store, major savings!

Now just add your favorite toppings or use it in any recipe that calls for Greek yogurt, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment really encourages me! Thank you for leaving one :)