Thursday, July 21, 2011

My "Famous" Yeast Biscuits

I didn't name them, all the other people who have tried them and loved them and asked for the recipe named them.  Just so you know, LOL! This biscuit is very versatile, it can be used for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's a cross between a biscuit and a roll because yeast is used. I have made them really large to use like a sandwich bun, and also very small for appetizers.

I now have two versions of this recipe since I am converting every recipe I can to make it healthier and use real foods instead of processed as much as possible. I will post both versions since not all of you are a health nut like me. The directions for each version are the same, the alternate ingredients are in parenthesis.

 



Yeast Biscuits


1 cup warm water


1 tablespoon yeast  (or 1 package)


2 cups buttermilk


1/2 cup oil (I use olive oil or coconut oil, melted)


1/2 cup sugar (I use 1/4 cup)


6 cups all purpose flour


(I use whole white wheat flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder + 1/2 teaspoon salt added per cup. That's 6 teaspoons baking powder and 3 teaspoons salt for this recipe.) Also see note at the bottom about this flour.


The pictures below are of the whole wheat version :0)



Directions


In a large mixing bowl combine the warm water (not hot!) with the yeast and gently stir. Add a tablespoon of the sugar and let the mixture sit until it starts to foam up a little. This is the yeast coming to life!



Add the buttermilk, remaining sugar and oil, and stir.


 


Add 3 cups of the all purpose flour. Stir by hand with a heavy duty spoon. I use a Danish Dough Whisk, I love this awesome tool!  My Mom has had one for decades but we didn't know what it was called or where to get one till recently.



Keep stirring in the flour until your dough is no longer really wet, but still sticky to the touch. You may need a bit more or less flour to achieve this. Use your hands to judge, if it sticks a lot then add a little more flour.



When it feels right, spread a little flour on your counter or cutting board and dump out the dough. With your hands, pat it out to about a 1 inch thickness. Using something round (I use a drinking glass) cut out your biscuits by pressing straight down, do NOT twist! Your biscuits will rise higher that way.



Spread some oil in a cookie sheet and place the biscuits with sides touching.


Bake @ 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. The tops will be golden when they are done.



I hope you enjoy them, and they become YOUR famous biscuits also!




NOTE :  Where do I find whole white wheat flour?


If you do not grind your own flour, then the best I have found is from King Arthur and is available at Kroger and Walmart in my area. If you cannot find it, ask the store to carry it or you can order it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment really encourages me! Thank you for leaving one :)